1. Don’t just repurpose e-learning, design a program for mobile device.
- If you deliver learning to a mobile device the same way you deliver it to a desktop computer, you miss the point of having a mobile device to begin with.
2. Design learning for mobile learning in a method that fits it best, because people tend to use mobile devices:
- In short intense bursts
- When they need information right away
- In down-time, such as between appointments
- To retrieve information that may not be at their fingertips
- To get information that is current or time-sensitive
- For example a major car manufacturer uses mobile devices to support mechanics certified to repair their cars with tips and reminders at the moment of need
- Try using smaller chunks of context-independent content that can be understood out-of-order
5. Consider delivering content in stages and over time to build awareness, learn, apply, and reinforce.
6. Integrate mobile learning into actually doing the job, providing performance support for different phases of key tasks
7. Deliver a stream of constantly updated content that builds capabilities, skills, and knowledge over time
- Your goal is to use mobile devices to provide information for better job performance
8. Combat the Forgetting Curve by providing reminders and reinforcement over time
9. Game-like approaches can work very well—people love playing games on their devices
- However, games often require a bigger investment of time than your learners can provide
10. Make sure the content is relevant and immediate-- mobile is not the tool for deep thinking
11. Replace learning objectives with What’s In It For Me (WIFMs)-what will I be able to do by using this tool?
- By the way, this works for NON-mobile learning, too!
12. Make sure the technology used works on the appropriate platform or platforms for your target users
- The Mobile rEvolution White Paper
- The iPad Eats the Smartphone and Mobile Learning Becomes Real
- Mobile Learning is SO 10 Minutes Ago…
- Teaching Non-Linear Instructional Design for Mobile Learning and Performance Support
- The Myth of Mobile: An Introduction
- Compliance Learning on the iPad
Amanda Cushman Holm is the
Sales and Marketing Specialist at
Performance Development Group